Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Blogoversary: Interview with Kristen Simmons


Book Addicts!

Today we have with us an amazing author. She's the author of the Article 5 series and she was on tour  for her last Article 5 book while she helped us with our blogoversary. Isn't that simply awesome?

I love her series and they have been on my radar-book since forever. If you haven't heard about her this is your change to know more about Kristen Simmons and her dystopian YA series. As for those Article 5 fans out there you can enjoy an interview with Kristen while you enter the amazing giveaway for the change to win a signed copy of THREE. I know, you can start book-fangirling right now.

As always have fun, enjoy the interview and leave Kristen some Article 5 love!



Article 5 (Article 5 #1)
Publisher: Tor Teen
Release Date: January 31st 2012
 photo addtogoodreadssmall_zpsa2a6cf28.png photo B6096376-6C81-4465-8935-CE890C777EB9-1855-000001A1E900B890_zps5affbed6.jpg

Synopsis:
New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.
The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.
There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.
Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.
Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.
That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.




Breaking Point (Article 5 #2)
Publisher: Tor Teen
Release Date: February 12th 2013
 photo addtogoodreadssmall_zpsa2a6cf28.png photo B6096376-6C81-4465-8935-CE890C777EB9-1855-000001A1E900B890_zps5affbed6.jpg

Synopsis:
The second installment in Kristen Simmons's fast-paced, gripping YA dystopian series.
After faking their deaths to escape from prison, Ember Miller and Chase Jennings have only one goal: to lay low until the Federal Bureau of Reformation forgets they ever existed.
Near-celebrities now for the increasingly sensationalized tales of their struggles with the government, Ember and Chase are recognized and taken in by the Resistance—an underground organization working to systematically take down the government. At headquarters, all eyes are on the sniper, an anonymous assassin taking out FBR soldiers one by one. Rumors are flying about the sniper’s true identity, and Ember and Chase welcome the diversion….
Until the government posts its most-wanted list, and their number one suspect is Ember herself.
Orders are shoot to kill, and soldiers are cleared to fire on suspicion alone. Suddenly Ember can’t even step onto the street without fear of being recognized, and “laying low” is a joke. Even members of the Resistance are starting to look at her sideways.
With Chase urging her to run, Ember must decide: Go into hiding…or fight back?





Publisher: Tor Teen
Release Date: February 11th 2014
 photo addtogoodreadssmall_zpsa2a6cf28.png photo B6096376-6C81-4465-8935-CE890C777EB9-1855-000001A1E900B890_zps5affbed6.jpg

Synopsis:
Ember Miller and Chase Jennings are ready to stop running. After weeks spent in hiding as two of the Bureau of Reformation’s most wanted criminals, they have finally arrived at the safe house, where they hope to live a safe and quiet existence.
And all that’s left is smoking ruins.
Devastated by the demolition of their last hope, Ember and Chase follow the only thing left to them—tracks leading away from the wreckage. The only sign that there may have been survivors.
With their high profile, they know they can’t stay out in the open for long. They take shelter in the wilderness and amidst the ruins of abandoned cities as they follow the tracks down the coast, eventually finding refugees from the destroyed safe house. Among them is someone from Chase’s past—someone he never thought he’d see again.
Banding together, they search for a place to hide, aiming for a settlement a few of them have heard about…a settlement that is rumored to house the nebulous organization known as Three. The very group that has provided Ember with a tiny ray of hope ever since she was first forced on the run.
Three is responsible for the huge network of underground safe houses and resistance groups across the country. And they may offer Ember her only chance at telling the world her story.
At fighting back.


Hi Kristen! We are thrilled to have you in our blogoversary event. Your latest book in the Article 5 came out recently, in February to be exact, and we were beyond happy. 

Hi! Thank you for having me! I'm thrilled to be a part of your blog.

I got the idea for ARTICLE 5 when I was driving to work one day and witnessed a group of people protesting the release of a book. Though I knew this happened, I'd never seen it before. It got me thinking - if you can ban books because you don't agree with their message, what else could you ban? Divorce? Gambling? I started wondering what this would look like in the United States. Gradually, I came up with the idea of Moral Statutes as a substitute for the Bill of Rights (which grants certain freedoms, like free speech, and freedom of religion in the US). That's where the idea all started.

It actually wasn't too difficult to write the devastation. I don't know if that says something about me... Ha! I love writing worlds that are in ruins.


I'm fairly peaceful...but I have taken a fair amount of kickboxing! I don't know if I could really punch someone. I guess if I had to! I'd probably immediately apologize though.


My Immortal by Evanescence. I listed to that song so much when I was writing this series!


I like them all for different reasons, but I guess I would say I like THREE for the kissing scenes. :)


I like Nina Dobrev for Ember, and Channing Tatum for Chase. He's so hot!


Yes! My next book (coming in 2015) is called THE GLASS ARROW and is about a society where women are endangered. One girl is hunted and sold for breeding purposes, and her only goal is to escape so she can return to her family. I'm really excited about it!


The Glass Arrow sounds pretty amazing. It's definitely in my TBR. 
Thank you, Kristen, for celebrating with us our 1 year Blogoversary. We know that you are on tour at the moment so we truly appreciate it.

Thank YOU! This was fun! Happy reading!


Kristen Simmons has a master’s degree in social work and is an advocate for mental health. She loves Jazzercise, her husband, and her precious greyhound, Rudy. Also chocolate. She currently lives in Tampa, Florida.

For more updates on Kristen and her writing, visit http://www.kristensimmonsbooks.com



Win (1) signed copy of THREE by Kristen Simmons (US Only)






7 comments:

  1. Well I have never heard of these before, but they sound fantastic. The author listens to Evanescence so she must be awesome...hehe! They are one of my favs. These sound right up my alley. Thanks for the fun interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Divergent! :D I love that book. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. My absolute favorite is the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld

    ReplyDelete
  5. Article 5 is definitely one of them! I also really love Maire Lu's Legend trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Article 5, Divergent, and Maze Runner are some of my favorites:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED the Article 5 trilogy. I think this past week it just hit me that my 2 favorite Dystopian trilogies ended. I miss Chase and Sean and their adorableness and their girls... and the barn, and the other one is Under the Never Sky trilogy by Veronica Rossi. I just love them so much.

    ReplyDelete