Saturday, January 11, 2014

Vigilante Nights by Erin Richards



Vigilante Nights
by Erin Richards
Publisher: Merit Press
Expected Publication: July 18th, 2013
Rate: Hated it - Not my book

Synopsis:

A "good boy" will do anything for vengeance when a gang rite kills his twin sister. Will Lucas win, or follow his sister Silver into the darkness?

After a hideous car wreck, Lucas wakes from a coma to find that his world is gutted. Not only is his beloved twin sister, Silver, gone forever, but Lucas is broken in body and spirit. He will never be a college athlete, and is robbed of what he now realizes was the most important bond of his life. Although they weren't identical twins, Lucas and Silver shared a bond so fierce it defied reason, and was nearly supernatural.

After her death, that bond seems to endure when Lucas sees Silver everywhere he turns. Either he's crazy, or Silver is trying to tell him something about the California gang initiation they stumbled into that cost Silver her life. Lucas is bent on revenge, turning on Raymond, Silver's former boyfriend; the one Lucas never wanted her to date. He forms a posse of vigilantes to take out the gangsters responsible for Silver's death, but he risks not only his own life, but the love of the new girl on his block, who knows more about Lucas and Silver than can be accounted for by mere chance.




Hi guys, it’s been a while since I last wrote a review here, but here I am again. Let’s get down to business. 

First of all, I wanted to remind you that this is my personal opinion and if I didn’t like the book, I’ll try to be respectful with my words. Also, I want to apologize in advance if you (the author or the reader) feel offended by this review. 

Now that we made that clear, let’s talk about what we love most, books! 

Even though I am embarrassed to admit it, I did not finish Vigilante Nights, it was just too much for me; I like when a book is descriptive but not when they are excessive. I had to put down Vigilante nights after 70-80 pages.

I’ll sum up what I read in these 80 pages: Vigilante Nights is about a boy who has lost his twin sister in a car accident when gangers were hanging out near them. These dangerous guys were the cause of his twin death. After he leaves hospital and go back home, he felt empty, but suddenly his sister appears to him, as a ghost. Because of her sister appearance, and his need to revenge his sister’s dead, he decided to form a group of kids willing to take down gangs. 

I don’t know if they achieve their goal, but I don’t think I will find out soon. 

After having said that, I should at least say something good about the book, since not everything was bad. When I started reading it I was so caught up in the book! The pain was palpable; the lost of a sister was devastating (I had to choke back tears!), I felt sorry for Lucas, his pain felt so real. This was like 20 pages more or less, where I was so emotionally deep in the book. 

I was in love with this book! Yes, was, as in the past, because as soon as I went deep into the book, I started to feel different about the book. 

When did it start to change everything? After the accident, when Lucas went back to school. Yes, I know! It was almost at the beginning of the book, but yet it wasn’t all bad. Some things were good, but after a 50 pages (more or less) I was overwhelmed by so many descriptions! I just couldn’t take it; there was description of everything, even the less important thing! But I had hope because it started strong. But my hopes were crashed! Let me ask you something, if you saw a dangerous gang, in an abandoned park, at night…will you go to them and insult them? Or will you just run away and don’t ever look back? I’ll go with the second, but our dear Lucas & CO decided that it was safer to face them. My point is that some decisions the main character made were a little bit doubtful and kind of foolish.

Also, there is the thing about his sister’s ghost. I’m sorry, but I can’t believe it! It didn’t feel good, it felt wrong. 

I cannot say much more about Vigilante Nights, because as I have pointed out previously, I didn’t finish this book. Nevertheless, if you want to give it a try, I wouldn’t say no to you.

Overall, this book wasn’t meant for me and if you ask me if I’d recommend this book to someone I know, I will say no.





 photo addtogoodreadssmall_zpsa2a6cf28.png photo B6096376-6C81-4465-8935-CE890C777EB9-1855-000001A1E900B890_zps5affbed6.jpg photo 111AD205-AA04-4F9E-A0F4-C1264C4E9F30-1855-000001A1E8CEB6D7_zps9b730b94.jpg 




Erin Richards writes SF&F romance and young adult fiction. Her YA debut novel, VIGILANTE NIGHTS, releases from Merit Press (F+W Media) on July 18, 2013. Erin has also published two adult romance novels: CHASING SHADOWS, a romantic suspense (EPPIE award finalist & NOR 5-Star Top Pick) and WICKED PARADISE, a fantasy romance, both available in eBook and print. 

Erin Richards lives in Northern California. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, photography, and American muscle cars.



No comments:

Post a Comment