Monday, October 28, 2013

Greed (The Seven Deadly #2) by Fisher Amelie


Greed (The Seven Deadly #2) 
Fisher Amelie
Release Day: October 29th, 2013
Rate: Loved it


I'm officially in love with Fisher Amelie's series, The Seven Deadly. Not only, as I said in the VAIN Review, because she choose a wise and kickass name for the series, that suits perfectly her stories, but because her stories stay deep inside you. They make you laugh, cry and feel every emotion the characters are feeling.
And with Greed, was no different. I really liked Spencer in VAIN. He seemed a great guy and when I found out that this book was his story, I needed to know... Everything!

The story starts with Spencer's shady business with his father (Not telling what business is!). He's sick of it and disgusted by it, but the need of having more money betrays his conscience. Always. However, everything changes when Bridge, Spencer's sister, tells him she's pregnant and their father forces her to loose the baby. With big threats against Bridge and Spencer from their own father and not receiving any support from their mother, Spencer helps her sister to get to the clinic. However, the things he sees there, change his mind, changing his future forever.
With the help of her college roommate, Spencer and her sister, scape from their father, leaving all their commodities behind, their beloved and naïve mother and everything and everyone they know.

I loved their relationship. Spencer really cares about her sister and her mother. It's really sweet and that's one of the things you cannot stop loving about him. 

"Sorry,” I said, realizing I was taking my frustrations out on her. “I’m still getting over Soph,” I said, referring to my old prep school friend.
Sophie Price was the most beautiful girl you’d ever met. Seriously. Take it from someone who’s met Bar Refaeli in person. Soph was even more stunning. Especially since she’d had a personality makeover. I’d never regret anything as much as I would not making her fall in love with me. 
“You can’t make anyone fall, Spence. Either they do or they don’t.”
“I said that out loud?” 
“Duh and it’s been two years, Spencer. You seriously need to get over her. She’s with that Ian guy anyway, right?”
“Right.”
“That hot South African guy named Ian,” she concluded.
“Thanks.”
“That hot saffy named Ian who gives his life to mutilated Ugandan orphans and worships the ground Sophie walks on.”
I stopped and glared at her. “That’ll do, Bridge."

His relationship with her mother is different. He loves her and wants to protect her, but he knows that she is the one that need to say no to her father. However, her sister is another story. She's a minor and has to do everything her parents tell her to do. And when her own father threatens her, in a evil and malevolent way, there's no way out, unless they run away. What was unthinkable before, leaving the source of money that makes Spencer's account grow, now is an obligation in order to safe her sister and her unborn baby from their father.
The main character, Spencer, making honor to the name of the book, is a greedy person. He's afraid of losing his money and every luxury he has. He dreams about a girl that he met at Vegas that only wanted to take his money from him and that reminds him, every night, what he can loose. Despite this side of him, you see he is a good boy and leaving everything behind for his sister is the first step of his personal redemption.
And that's when he meets Cricket. She has a boyfriend but it's obvious she cares about him, but not love him. They have this mutual attraction that it's almost palpable when they are together and it's not a secret that Spencer has fallen hard for her, since he cannot keep his eyes from her.

"Just say one tiny word, Cricket. Just one word and I'll have you."

Cricket is a strong character. She has an attitude and it's not afraid to show it to Spencer. However, this tiny and brave girl, that has Spencer's heart in her hands, is keeping something from us, and we couldn't stand that. We didn't understand why she was playing with Spencer, and why in the world she didn't leave her jackass boyfriend. Well, he's not a jackass, not at all, but a little control freak.

"Don't move," I sighed into her neck. She frantically nodded and bit her bottom lip. My mouth gaped open. "Oh, Cricket," I told her, my voice dropping an octave. "I told you never to do that."

No one understood her. Not her art, not what she wanted to do. She feels responsible for everyone in her family and has to do always the right thing, or what she considers is the right thing. And the right thing is not to date Spencer, although she loves him.

"Please," I begged her, my tongue heavy and thick. "Tell me it's okay to kiss you."

Their attraction was so intense that I have to give some sort of control award to Cricket, because having a man like Spencer, saying nice things, promising every girl's dreams, and talking about wanting her, forever, and not kissing him or saying "what the hell?" and kiss him? She's the queen of control. I tell you girls, Spencer, is a lot of Spencer. And he's damn hot, not only physically, but personally. I am in love with him. So, Crickett, If you don't want him, I can have him (*wink*).

"I'm going to tell you something, but this can only be said once. I suffer for you. I want to be near you always. I'm falling in love with you and it's a sweet agony. However, it's still an agony."

So heartbreaking all this situation, right? Our heart couldn't take it. We were always wondering what was this thing that kept Cricket so tight, so far away from Spencer, afraid she would loose control when he's around. We played a lot of scenarios in our head, but nothing compared to what really is. And I can only say, without saying any spoiler, that I cried and cried. And cried even more at the end, specially in one of Spencer's "dreaming" scenes. If you read the book, I think you'll figure out which scene I'm talking about here. I actually cried! Like really crying. Couldn't stop myself, imagining Spencer, all desperate, shouting and crying. It broke my heart to a million pieces and couldn't believe this would be the end of the book.
What truly liked is the before meeting Cricket Spencer and the after meeting Cricket Spencer. He's a different and it's not afraid anymore of losing his money. If you were in love before with Spencer, now you love him even more.

The ending was a Fisher Amelie's perfect ending. Everything we were expecting. Not finishing with only the happy ending, but going a little bit farther. I liked to see how every single character ended and it was nice to read about Sophie once more, knowing the author haven't forgotten about old characters. Not a lot, because this was Spencer's story, but a glimpse that makes us bring out a smile.
Thank you so much, InkSlinger PR and Fisher Amelie for offering us this amazing and wonderful opportunity.
I loved this book and I adore it. I cannot help it, Book Addicts. I'm sure you are gonna love it as much as I do, that's why I'm highly recommending it. Once more, Fisher Amelie created a unique story, with a character with a specific sin that redeems himself and finds love in the middle of his new crazy life.
Because of that, I am giving this story a full five gorjuss dolls and I'm waiting anxiously to see the cover of Fury, and even more anxiously to read this third book in The Seven Deadly series.




Gabriella Wilde as Cricket Hunt
Alex Pettyfer as Spencer Blackwell

What do you think, Book Addicts?

 photo addtogoodreadssmall_zpsa2a6cf28.png







Fisher Amelie is the author of The Leaving Series, Callum & Harper and Thomas & January. She began her writing career as a copywriter for an internet marketing company wherein one of their client's said, 'Hey! You're funny. You should write books'. Which in turn she said, 'Hey, get out of here! This is the lady's restroom.' While washing her hands and the embarrassment from her face, she thought they may have had a valid point. So, she took the thousands of hours of writing stories growing up, tucked them into her pocket and began writing and writing and writing.


Win (1) of (5) Kindle Fire
Win (1) of (5) signed copies of VAIN by Fisher Amelie and some swag
(INTERNATIONAL)




Thank you so much, InkSlinger PR and Fisher Amelie for this wonderful opportunity




6 comments:

  1. Book Addicts,
    I don't know about you, but... out of the Seven Deadly Sins, the one vice that intrigues me the most is Lust. I don't know how Fisher Amelie would do this story, but I am definitely curious. And it's the one book I cannot picture who's about.
    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of the seven deadly sins the one that intrigues me the most is all of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather,
      I understand. So many choices… So many Sins! I would pick all of them, too ;)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The vice that intrigues me the most is Greed, because, I think there's much truth in that saying: "Money makes the world go round..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura,
      Good pick. Now I can't stop singing the song that says that, hahaha. And also wondering who would be in that book ;)
      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete