Friday, September 13, 2013

Elite (Eagle Elite #1) by Rachel Van Dyken

Elite (Eagle Elite #1) 
Rachel Van Dyken
322 pages
Publisher: Self-published
Release Date: April 14th, 2013
Rate: Loved it



"I love you, Trace. I always have. Just remember that, okay? Hold on to it. No matter what I say or what I do... and trust me, I'll do some terrible things. Just know. I love you. With every fiber of my being."
Holy freaking cow. This story is amazing! Rachel Van Dyken's book, Elite, has exceeded my expectations.
I love bad boys. And If they are freaking hot? Even more. And Ms. Dyken created an incredible story with an amazing plot, the perfect mixture of mystery, confusion, romance and college life, with bad cocky hot boys... everywhere! I must say, I felt like reading the teenage life of The Godfather.
To not bring all my emotions in one paragraph and not make any spoiler, I would start for the beginning. Saying that I felt ridiculously confused at the beginning of the story is not even close to the level of confusion my mind was getting at. Nothing made sense and I wanted to slap every single boy at the Elite. Yes, Book Addicts, even Nixon and Chase.
It was infuriating how they all made Tracey think she was part of the group, mafia style, all controlling, all "I'm-doing-this-for-your-own-good", and then they would humiliate her in public, to almost feel embarrassing to read, and break her heart. Like I said: infuriating, frustrating... to a I-want-to-kill-them-all level.
What about the main character? Tracey is kind of brave. Why kind of? Because she replied back when Nixon talks, when no one has ever replied back to the leader of the Elite, she touches him when he says not to and she defies him even when the cleverest thing to do, is to just shut up and forget about them. Despite this, Tracey was kind of naïve, too. I meant... seriously? It was kind of obvious that something wasn't right with this hot (even more hot than the guys from Abercrombie) boys who owned the school in every possible way.

"Um I have a lot of homework and-"
"-Nope, you're going. Nixon said you could."
"Oh well, if the great and powerful OZ said I could go..."
Monroe threw her head back and laughed. "Can we please call him OZ from now on?"

Monroe is the perfect friend. She happens to be Satan's sister aka Nixon's sister. Yep, I laugh a lot with that or when Tracey called him "the great OZ" and Monroe laughs and remarks how much Nixon would love to hear that. They have the perfect relationship because Monroe is just a teenage girl, anxious to have a girlfriend to talk to, go to parties and to exchange clothes. I like how she's loyal to her friend because she knows how Nixon really is. They are the sun and the moon. So it's the perfect balance for Tracey: Monroe, her sweet, cute, gorgeous and perfect friend, and Nixon, the evil impersonated, being the sheriff, judge and jury of Elite, with a strange fixation for Tracey and an undeniable physical attraction for the Farm Girl.

"So, does that make you and Nixon a year apart?"
"No." Monroe flashed me a smile. "That makes us twins."
"I'm sorry."
"Oh, me too." We had reached the top floor again. Monroe took my bag. "Let's go, New Girl. People to see and boys to flirt with."


And Chase? Mmm... He's a jackass at first. He won my heart when he did a lovely thing for Tracey, but won also my hatred when he helped Phoenix do a prank to Tracey, a huge, humiliating, "swallow-me-Earth level of prank. However, almost at the end of book, we get to know a different Chase. A free Chase who likes Tracey for who she is and would protect her from anything because she's his friend. I loved how he protected her when Nixon didn't, when he chose another thing (not wanting to do a massive spoiler here) over her. He was there all the time and, I have to say, I see it coming what happened. And Nixon deserves it. I'm not gonna feel bad for him.
The characters are perfectly created. I liked how the characters evolve, not sticking with the first impression you have of all of them.
About the plot... just, wow. I'm beyond impressed. It's like Rachel Van Dyken took all the good things about New Adult and Romance stories and mixed up all together to create this wonderful story.
It has, like I said before, the whole Godfather style, threatening people, going all sheriff around school, but with a college style. I kept asking myself how the teachers allowed the Elite behavior. Then there's a lot of romance and drama. Because without romance and drama this book won't be the same. Then there's a love triangle?! A few bad guys, with the promise of more evil, scary bad guys on time for the second book and the whole mystery going on during the entire story.
I know. The perfect story to read. Yes, Book Addicts, you must read this story. But not only because of that, but because the level of romance going on through those pages makes my heart ache for more of this type of relationship and wants to re-read the book until I wear out the pages (If that's possible, because we are talking about a digital copy here!). And If you are not a hundred percent sure of the kind of love I'm talking about, here's an example:

"Need." He croaked. "I need you like I need my heart to pump blood through my body, like I need air to breathe, like we need gravity. Hell, Trace, you are my gravity. Being with you makes me feel centered and whole, and I'm too screwed up to convince you to want any different. I'm too selfish to push you into someone else's arms when I know mine may be the worst ones for you to be in."


I cannot keep talking about this book because I would give away some huge spoiler here, so I'm ending my review. But... Can you understand now why I'm in love with this story? And the boys?
So, yes, Book Addicts. You do need to read this book. And yes, you do need to read more of Rachel Van Dyken's stories, because I can assure that it would rock your world. And because Elite rocked my world, I'm giving this book a five gorjuss dolls and the highly recommendation of reading, right away, this book.
However there's one final decision to make... #TeamChase or #TeamNixon, Book Addicts? After doing the Dream Cast, I'm having more trouble deciding (I was in trouble, before, but now a little bit more). Read the book and let us know which team are you!



Jordan Legault as Nixon
Gabriella Wilde as Tracey
Mario Ermito as Chace

What do you think, Book Addicts?


 photo addtogoodreadssmall_zpsa2a6cf28.png photo 111AD205-AA04-4F9E-A0F4-C1264C4E9F30-1855-000001A1E8CEB6D7_zps9b730b94.jpg





2 comments:

  1. SO so so SO thoroughly enjoyed your review, thank you so much! :) <3 And um..I'm Team both....does that count? I can't pick sides, not yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm not the only one on Team both then, hahaha. I think I need to read he second book to pick a side lol
      So happy to know that you enjoyed our review. Thank you so much for stopping by.
      We would wait anxiously for the next book ;)

      Delete