Sunday, April 27, 2014

Shifting Fate (Descendants #2) by Melissa Wright



Shifting Fate (Descendants #2)
by Melissa Wright
214 pages
Publisher: Createspace
Release Date: December 20th 2013
Rate: Enjoyed it (4 stars)

Synopsis:

According to prophecy, Brianna Drake was born to save the world. The trouble is, she doesn't have the slightest idea how. Her visions should have given her the answer, but they’re beginning to shift, making the danger too unpredictable, even for a prophet.

If she can just help her sister restore their hidden powers, she might be able to stop what’s coming. But an old enemy returns, and he’s got plans for Brianna and her visions.

What neither of them knows is that fate has given a stranger one chance to find her. He was trained to protect the chosen—but if he fails, the future will crumble.


Shifting Fate is the perfect follow-up to the Urban Fantasy series of the Descendants. Once again there's a lot of action, danger, prophecies and definitely romance. I can tell you that once I started I couldn't stop! 

I read the first book in the series a while back so when I started reading this book, I was expecting to read where Bound by Prophecy was finished and from the main character's, Emily, point of view. I had to re-read the first page to fully understand what was going on. This book is from Emily's sister, Brianna, point of view. The sister everyone thought was the chosen one? Yep, that girl. I liked Emily, so badass, and Brianna is completely the opposite, sweet, innocent and almost vulnerable. But I loved even more this story!

So, the story follows right where Bound by Prophecy ended, but from Brianna's point of view: wounded and in the hospital. She has to fully understand the prophecy in order to defeat creepy and scary Morgan. But it's still kind of difficult for Brianna to be safe, when even after locking up the bad guy, he's control over the people around her.

With a more insight in what's going on with Brianna and Emily and her world, you start this story fully prepared. It was nice the change of characters and to be in the "mind" of the prophet gives the story some insight, too. Somehow I enjoyed more the story from Brianna's perspective. Maybe because she feels kind of lost and vulnerable for not being prepared as the warrior, like her sister, but the prophet she's destined to be. However, she overcomes this and fights it and tries to be that hero that the prophecies have predicted, even when she doesn't even know what she's looking after exactly.

It's true that I got a little bit lost with all the process of studying the prophecy and even know I cannot understand how she discovered/arrived to the conclusion that she did, but at the point I didn't care because I was more focused on the romance. I am a complete romantic, I admit it, and Brianna and Logan's story? Swooned. I ended up with a big goofy smile on my face. I think that the romance and the innocence that Brianna provides into the relationship is what makes it simply amazing. I loved it.

Maybe I would have liked to see more interactions between Aern and Emily, romantic ones. But since we are reading from Brianna's point of view is completely understandable.

The ending was a wrap-up one. Leaving the reader satisfied, but with the possibility of having another book. And the writing was simply great. I wasn't bored at all and I ended up the story pretty fast. 

I highly recommend this book to those YA/NA readers who would like an Urban Fantasy read full of action and danger with the threat of the destruction of the world as it is. And also to those who love those romances that are "meant to be". Definitely an enjoyable read.




Bound By Prophecy: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N | Bookdepository | Kobo | iTunes | Smashwords
Shifting FateGoodreads | Amazon | B&N | Bookdepository | Kobo | iTunes | Smashwords


Melissa is the author of the Frey Saga and Descendants Series. She is currently working on the next book, but when not writing can be found collecting the things she loves at Goodreads and Pinterest. Contact her through the web at www.melissa-wright.com.


1 comment:

  1. YAY, I am glad you enjoyed it! I have had it for a while I loved the first one, so I cannot wait to get to this one :)

    ReplyDelete