Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Interview with Lani Forbes for The Seventh Sun



The Seventh Sun (The Age of the Seventh Sun #1)

by Lani Forbes
Publisher: Blackstone Publishing
Release Date: February 18th, 2020
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
 photo addtogoodreadssmall_zpsa2a6cf28.png photo B6096376-6C81-4465-8935-CE890C777EB9-1855-000001A1E900B890_zps5affbed6.jpg

Synopsis:

The sun of the Chicome people has been destroyed six times. First by water, then by storm, fire, famine, sickness, and beasts. After each apocalypse, the creator goddess allowed one of her divine children to sacrifice themselves to save civilization. The gods paid their blood as the price for the lives of the people, and the people owed them blood in return.

Mayana is a noble descendant of the water goddess and can control water whenever her blood is spilled. She has always despised the brutal rituals of her people — especially sacrifices. She can’t even make it through a routine animal sacrifice without embarrassing her family. Prince Ahkin has always known he would be emperor, but he didn’t expect his father to die so suddenly. Now he must raise the sun in the sky each day and read the signs in the stars. But the stars now hint at impending chaos and the sun has begun setting earlier each evening. Ahkin fears he might not be strong enough to save his people from another apocalypse. And to add to his list of worries, he can’t truly become emperor until he selects a wife.

Mayana and six other noble daughters are sent to the palace to compete for Ahkin’s hand. She must prove she is a true daughter of water and face the others who have their own magical gifts from wielding the elements to the control of animals, plants and healing. And in a society centered on rigid rituals, Mayana must conceal her traitorous beliefs because if she doesn’t make Ahkin love her, she will become a ceremonial sacrifice to bless his marriage. But darker forces are at play and it won’t matter if Mayana loses if the world ends first…

Rich in imagination and romance, and based on the legends and history of the Aztec and Mayan people, The Seventh Sun brings to vivid life a world on the edge of apocalyptic disaster.


Can you briefly describe THE SEVENTH SUN and its characters?

Thrust into leadership upon the death of his emperor father, young Prince Ahkin feels completely unready for his new position. Though his royal blood controls the power of the sun, he’s now responsible for the lives of all the Chicome people. And despite all Ahkin’s efforts, the sun is fading—and the end of the world may be at hand.

For Mayana, the only daughter of the Chicome family whose blood controls the power of water, the old emperor’s death may mean that she is next. Prince Ahkin must be married before he can ascend the throne, and Mayana is one of six noble daughters presented to him as a possible wife. Those who are not chosen will be sacrificed to the gods. 

The life-and-death competition begins immediately. Each princess commands a different power. Fierce Itza, daughter of the stormlords, can control the wind. Teniza can grow crops to fruition in only seconds. Zorrah uses her power over animals to immediately make herself Mayana’s enemy. Yoli, daughter of the volcano, commands the power of fire, and Yemania, who becomes Mayana’s best friend, can heal all wounds.

Only one girl can become Ahkin’s bride. Mayana and Ahkin feel an immediate connection, but the gods themselves may be against them. Both recognize that the ancient rites of blood that keep the gods appeased may be harming the Chicome more than they help. As a blood-red comet and the fading sun bring a growing sense of dread, only two young people may hope to change their world.

Rich in imagination and romance, and based on the legends and history of the Aztec and Mayan people, THE SEVENTH SUN brings to vivid life a world on the edge of apocalyptic disaster.


Who would you say is your favourite character from the story and why?

I will always hold a soft spot for Mayana because I relate so strongly to her empathy and stubborn refusal to accept what she’s told. I poured so much of myself into her. But I also really love Yoli, the fire princess. She has such a dry, morbid sense of humor and I had so much fun writing her.


How did the story occur to you? Did you find inspiration anywhere?

I’ve always been fascinated by ancient civilizations, and ancient Mesoamerican civilizations in particular. My stepfather lived in Mexico for many years and would always share stories with my sisters and I growing up. When my parents decided to move back to Mexico, I knew I wanted to write a story based on ancient Aztec and Maya mythology. So, like a good daughter of a research librarian, I started doing research. I came across a creation myth called “The Five Suns” and the rest is (ancient) history! 


If you could choose one song to describe your book, which one would it be?

Would it be cheesy to say “It’s the End of the World as we Know it” by R.E.M.? Haha! II’m just kidding. I actually really love Rachel Platten and I kind of have a song of hers for each of the three books in the series. THE SEVENTH SUN would definitely be her song “Grace”. Book one is about Mayana learning to embrace who she is despite everyone else telling her to be something else. I love when the song says, “Release the better version of me. 'Cause right now, what I wanna do is scream it.”



If your book was going to be made into a movie, who would play your characters?

I think I would just be in so much shock that it was being made into a movie, I wouldn’t care who they picked! Haha!


What drink and place do you think will go with your book to have a perfect book date?

I think a fresh fruit juice and a hammock in Belize would be my idea of the perfect book date for THE SEVENTH SUN. I recently travelled to Belize and Guatemala for research, and getting to experience the jungles and ruins first hand was an unforgettable experience that really helped me imagine what it would feel like to visit the Chicome Empire! 


Can you recommend your readers any other books in case they are left hungry for more once they finish THE SEVENTH SUN?

If you are looking for another book inspired by the diverse cultures of South and Central America, I highly recommend WOVEN IN MOONLIGHT by Isabel Ibañez or GODS OF JADE AND SHADOW by Silvia Moreno-Garcia


What would you say is the most difficult part of writing a book?

For me, the hardest part is staying in the “writing mindset” when I’m trying to balance chasing kids and just life in general. I feel like I have to get into a certain zone to really lose myself in the flow of the story, and sometimes life just doesn’t like to let me do that! Haha!


What’s next for you?

I’ve actually already finished book 2 in “The Age of the Seventh Sun” series and am working on book 3 right now. Because I am such a fan of historical fantasy, I have several other ideas that I am just itching to get started on. I have a fantasy western based on Mission-era California I’m really excited to finish and an idea for another fantasy series based on Ancient Greece.







Lani Forbes is the daughter of a librarian and an ex-drug smuggling surfer, which explains her passionate love of the ocean and books. A California native whose parents live in Mexico, she now resides in the Pacific Northwest where she stubbornly wears flip flops no matter how cold it gets. She teaches middle school math and science and proudly calls herself a nerd and Gryffindor. She is also an award-winning member of Romance Writers of America and the Society for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.



3 comments:

  1. Blood magic and water magic and suchlike sound like they make for an interesting mythology!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone here in this forum i am so glad that i have this great opportunity to come out here and share my testimony on how Dr idahosa was able to cure me totally from Hiv disease, i have been suffering from this Disease for approximately 4 Years now, i have tried various ways to get rid of this Virus out of my body, i have also purchase for Medical treatment from my doctor but they all failed, sometime back now while i was browsing the Internet i found some good quote concerning Dr idahosa Herbal Medicine, and how he has been using it to save souls from Different Disease including Cancer, someone also said she was been cured of Hiv from his medicine, and they gave out his contact details in case anyone needs his help, i decided to contact Dr idahosa and i told him about my Hiv illness he told me not to worry that he was going to send me his herbal medicine all i was to do is to send him my personal details and also my home address so he can post the Medicine to me, actually i did all that was required by this Man, i took the medicine just as prescribe by him, he told me to go for check up in the hospital which i did and to my great surprise my Doctor told me the Hiv Virus was no longer there, i even went to other hospital for better confirmation its was still the same thing, Today i am so happy that i am Negative again, Dr idahosa has given me reasons to share tears of Joy, you can reach to Dr idahosa on his email address at (dridahosasolutioncenter@gmail.com) website: https://dridahosasolutionc.wixsite.com/dridahosasolutioncen or call his WhatsApp number +2348134261542

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is on my TBR. I've never read a book promising legends and history of Aztec and Mayan people.

    ReplyDelete