Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Excerpt Hop: Guardian by Courtney Cole



Guardian
Guardian
Release Date: 28th August, 2014
 photo addtogoodreadssmall_zpsa2a6cf28.png photo B6096376-6C81-4465-8935-CE890C777EB9-1855-000001A1E900B890_zps5affbed6.jpg photo B6096376-6C81-4465-8935-CE890C777EB9-1855-000001A1E900B890_zps5affbed6.jpg

Synopsis:

Sometimes, things that go bump in the night are real. 

My name is Whitney Lane. I’m sixteen years old and at first, I thought I was crazy. 

I kept seeing shadows move along walls, and hearing whispers around corners, but whenever I looked, there was never anything there. 

Until one day, there was. 

Our world isn’t what we think. There are things around us, good things, bad things, scary things. 

Things that we tell ourselves aren’t real, but they are. 

They’re very real, and they’re terrifying. 

I’ve been swept up now, in a battle of good and evil, confused about love and what is supposed to be love, but isn’t. I don’t know what to think anymore. I can’t trust my emotions and I don’t know what is true. 

There’s only one thing I know for sure. 

Nothing is what it seems.


GUARDIAN
by Courtney Cole

SECTION 2
I’ve never done anything mechanical on a car, so I’m instantly nervous, and so of course, because it’s a law of nature, I’m called on second, right after Drew.  
Perfect.  
Of course, because it’s Drew, he tightened the lugs nuts inhumanly tight. I glare at his gigantic ham fists as I tug on the lug wrench.
I struggle with it unsuccessfully for several minutes, before giving up.  I look up at Mr. Divine helplessly. I don’t want to be the girly-girl in class, and I don’t want to ask for help, but there’s no way that these lugs are coming off. 
The morning sun is actually starting to get hot as it shines down on the concrete pavement of the parking lot and I can smell the grease from the wheel.  I’d rather be anywhere other than here right now and I’m actually starting to get a little dizzy. 
I’m just getting ready to bite the bullet and ask for help when Drew takes a step forward.
“Here, Whit.  I’ll help.  I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to get them so tight.  My fault!”
But Mr. Divine holds up his hand. 
“No, no.  She can get it.  There will probably be a time in your life when you are stuck on a highway without anyone to help you. And many mechanics use an air-wrench to tighten lugs.  In those cases, they’re much tighter than these.  It’s helpful to know what to do.  Whitney, carefully use your foot to apply pressure.” He demonstrates in the air as he speaks. 
Carefully is obviously the key word here.


September 1: Excerpt 1

The Novel List-Section 1
Roxy’s Reviews-Section 3

September 2: Excerpt 2

Book Drunk Blog-Section 1
Becky on Books-Section 3

September 3: Excerpt 3

I Heart YA Books-Section 1
BookHounds YA-Section 2

September 4Excerpt 4

The Book Beacon-Section 2

September 5Excerpt 5

Lulo Fangirl-Section 4

September 6Excerpt 6

Stuck in Books-Section 3
Rhi Reading-Section 4


Courtney Cole is a novelist who would eat mythology for breakfast if she could. She has a degree in Business, but has since discovered that corporate America is not nearly as fun to live in as fictional worlds. She loves chocolate and roller coasters and hates waiting and rude people. Courtney lives in quiet suburbia, close to Lake Michigan, with her real-life Prince Charming, her ornery kids (there is a small chance that they get their orneriness from their mother) and a small domestic zoo.






No comments:

Post a Comment